Sunday, September 14, 2008

American Photography



I thought the PBS special was very well done. It did a great job of talking about how photography has helped change and influence America over the years. I was rather surprised about the use of propaganda over the years and it made me think about a lot of stuff that I had previously heard in history classes. The way the camera is used has a huge impact on people and history; from the staged photos taken in World War One to impromptu photos taken to help create child labor laws.

It's surprising how one snap shot of an event can enrage a nation or pull at it's heart strings. Do to the powerful influence on America I decided to pick a picture of children that worked in a coal mine. I figured it would be a good reminder of what photography can do for people instead of just focusing on what's int the picture itself.

“Breaker boys, Woodward Coal Mines, Kingston, Pa..” Photograph from the Detroit Publishing Company, c1900

No comments: