Sunday, September 14, 2008

American Photography


I found the film to be quite informative, providing me with a more educated viewpoint on the art of photography. The images that were displayed revealed the importance of images and photographs in our history as a society. I will admit that in the past I have been skeptical of the artistic value of photography, but this film illustrated to me just how much emotion and beauty can be displayed in an image captured by a camera. The concept that a photograph can have such a huge impact on the country, or even the world is very powerful and I would tend to agree with the notion that a photo can be the most powerful form of media to illustrate certain subjects. A question that I have is: is the artistic value of a photographed derived primarily from the subject matter/event, or through the vision or eye of the photographer?

No comments: