Monday, November 10, 2008

Koyannisqatsi

I thought this film was amazing. Whereas many classmates commented that they thought the sections were too long and also very drawn out I felt the opposite. I didn't want the video to end! I especially liked the time lapse video of the clouds. I was shocked by how much the clouds took on the form of flowing water. The effect of time lapse on something like cloud movement imbues it with a surreal quality.

I also found Philip Glass's work in the composition to be very powerful. The whole concept of composing the music first and then making the video match the score is great! Taking a backwards approach to traditional methods has the rare potential to create something new and of unmatched quality, in my opinion Koyannisqatsi is one of those rare moments.

-Danny Mulvihill

No comments: