Monday, November 10, 2008

Koyaanisqatsi!

This movie might be relaxing to some and interesting to others, and in their cases, it's wonderful! However, I am not one to sit still for more than five minutes, let alone watch a feature-length film whose primary formula is "show long, drawn out scenes mixed in with annoyingly relaxing music."

Now, before I go on, I would like to say that Philip Glass is one of my personal favorite composers, and I'd love to see more movies with his music as a soundtrack. That being said, I'd love to see more movies that strive to entertain, while simultaneously making a point, which is what, I am assuming, was the purpose of Koyaanisqatsi. It's nice to make a point, but the ability of a filmmaker to summarize their point and mix in a bit of old-fashioned entertainment is what makes a lot of movies great.

Basically, the same point could have been made, and to a larger audience, in much less time than it took. Today's society is impatient, and only the people who already suspect the world is imbalanced would be privy to sit through and re-realize the point of the film. But who am I to say what purpose the film has? It is, after all, up to the filmmaker, and he may have succeeded at whatever it is he was trying to do. So good for him. :)

Just because I didn't enjoy it doesn't mean it's not a good movie.

No comments: