Monday, November 10, 2008

Koyaanisqatsi: Life out of Balance

I rather enjoyed this film but not for the reason that it made me feel all warm in fuzzy inside. Granted, due to the changes since the film was made I did have a little chuckle from time to time. However, I liked that the final film made me feel extremely uncomfortable. (And I am not just talking about how the variance in high speed and slow speed made my motion sickness act up. Thank you Mr. Fricke!) It made me uncomfortable because it forced me to think about things that I tend to not think about in my everyday life.
I really enjoyed the music that was composed by Philip Glass. I found the chanting a soothing respite from the images that I was forced to watch on the screen. Particularly what I thought was the Challenger exploding. (Come to find out it was the Atlas from the 1960s.)
There were moments in the film that reminded me of Madonna's "Ray of Light" video. The variation of speed was very important to me since I believe that life goes by too fast and we need to pay more attention to what goes on around us. My favorite part of the film was the images of hot dogs on conveyor belt and then the people on the escalators. To me it signified that people, like hot dogs, seem to be the leftovers of the earth.
Koyaanisqatsi 2 Pictures, Images and Photos

Spring Atkinson

No comments: