Wednesday, November 19, 2008

NW Film Festival- The Politics of Sand

After reading through some of the blogs it was nice to see that I wasn't the only one that went to this film. Very much like Nate's blog, I didn't choose to see this, it was the only one I could fit into my schedule. I was quite surprised however with this film which impressed and humbled me. Focusing on the beach bill of 1967, the film highlights the key players and the lengths that people went through to keep Oregon beaches free and open to the public. At times the film was a little slow, since it consisted of countless interviews. However, after watching it I have a new found appreciation for the Oregon coast and the sacrifices people made. Just think, the Oregon beaches could look like California beaches which are fenced off, commercialized, and littered with people. The decision to not privatize the beaches was based off of the idea of tradition as law. People have been using the beaches for over a century, the public has always used the beaches and therefore own the beaches.

One final note about Koyaanisqatsi. I realize most of you hated it and your entitled to you opinions, but I don't feel that the wording of some blogs was quite necessary. I'm sorry but calling it a turd is not a mature critique of art. When researching it online, almost every website praises it and many consider it one of the most important films of our lifetime. In fact the U.S. Library of Congress deemed the film "culturally significant". I just had to defend it one last time.

Shawn Kepfer

No comments: