Monday, October 6, 2008

Politik --- Left Right Center

On Friday evening I attended the Politik show at the North Bank Artists Gallery. Granted, it may have been the pain killers, but I really enjoyed this show. All the pieces were politically based in some way, even if I didn't get the political message.

I really enjoyed the Fruit Loops, a bowl of fruit with different political figures decoupaged on it. I found it humorous but completely valid in its point. I also enjoyed the Stephanie and Simone wedding, especially their scrapbook of their dating history. I laughed out loud when viewing the pictures of their first IKEA trip-----a huge couple milestone. I also enjoyed a very large multimedia piece that used painting and decoupage. In it were Condoleeza Rice, W, and other political heads sitting at a table with a woman who's face you counld not see. I stood there pondering who the woman was for about 20 minutes.

By far, my favorite pieces were paintings by Brian Cameron, "Picked Them Every One" and "The Answer is Blowing in the Wind." While I am not normally attracted to abstract paintings, "Picked Them Every One" moved me greatly. Well, it just goes to show you that you have to keep your mind open to new things.

No comments: