Sunday, October 12, 2008

Midterm Response

The artists that I really enjoyed from the textbook reading were the artists that manipulated the art done by the former masters (da Vinci, Picasso, Monet, etc.). I thought that by taking an image that is so well known to the general public and tweak it enough that it becomes something almost a little strange is genius. Lillian Schwartz and Jean-Paul Yvaral were two names mentioned in the reading and I am sure that there are more artists like them out there. The picture of Mona/Leo brought back some of my art history classes; the infamous postcard L.H.O.O.Q. created by Marcel Duchamp. I thought that this was a perfect example of the difference of something created my manipulation and an image that was just simply drawn on with pencil. Both if these images use da Vinci's own art to try and see deeper into the artist. Imitation is the strongest form of flattery.

-Racheal Johnson-

No comments: